We tend to have strong feelings about change, don't we?
Raise your hand if you have ever said "I hate change."
Guilty. Very guilty.
In ministry, resistance to change is a major hurdle. Attitudes like "we do it this way," "we always," "we never" grow like Virginia creeper around the foundation of a ministry.
- "Sticky, disk-like appendages on its tendrils adhere to wall siding, making it difficult to remove. Removal could, in fact, cause damage to the wall. So do not grow this plant on walls unless you wish it to be permanent!"
Sticky. Difficult. Damaging.
We have to take a hard look at our attitudes about change, particularly as it relates to our food pantries and other ministries, and be mindful of how we plant and prune.
As a leader, it's important to not only to invite change, but also to build comfort around it with those you walk alongside.
Even though this blog has been silent for awhile, there has been plenty going on in our ministry. Much has changed. In the dreaming and planning stages, it seemed too hard to write about because God was still holding some of the details in His hands.
It's time to share now.
In January 2016, I was given the opportunity to do this job as a part-time staff position. This has opened the door for me to dig deeper, connect with the rest of the church staff, and take this ministry in the direction I feel God is calling it. (See this post from 2015 about why I feel paid positions are important in this type of work.)
I had known for some time that our pantry (like any pantry following traditional models) was missing the mark. Books like Toxic Charity and When Helping Hurts point to issues we have been facing: dependency, entitlement, and a lack of positive change in the lives of those we work with.
Earlier this year, I learned we would have a relatively minor change in our physical space beginning this fall. There were ways we could have adapted to this while keeping everything mostly the same. It could have been simple. Yet, it felt very clear to me that we weren't just being called to adapt to this one thing.
We were being called to CHANGE.
I had a brainstorming session with a wise friend and God had put some of the same ideas on both of our hearts. It's hard to explain the calm about all of this I've had because He made it so clear, beginning in this meeting, that this was what we were to do. While there has certainly been work to make this happen, it has felt somewhat effortless.
(If you've never let God drive a process before, I highly recommend it! Once you get over that scary leap into trust, it's a great ride.)
I spent some time getting feedback from volunteers and others, and spent time calming fears and anxieties about change.
A group of volunteers and supporters who were willing to trust and try has made a tremendous difference.
A group of volunteers and supporters who were willing to trust and try has made a tremendous difference.
So what changed?
* We closed our Dollar Shop.
I loved this concept, and in some ways it worked very well. But over the past year, it had become burdensome. We no longer had a dedicated leader for that ministry. The donations got overwhelming. There were issues with a couple of people abusing the system.
It took a volunteer at an early meeting to say what I was thinking. I was afraid to close it. He showed me it was okay, and others supported this decision.
There is a fabulous clothing closet here in town, less than 2 miles away, where we now can send donors and those in need.
* We are launching a new Wednesday night program called The Dinner Table.
While on the surface it may not seem to have much to do with the food pantry, it's roots were in that first conversation with my friend.
I'll share more about this in a future post.
* We have moved to an appointment only system.
Everyone has a 10 minute appointment for a talk with a pantry leader before going to select food with another volunteer in the pantry.
I know my friends who run food pantries are wondering if I've lost my mind. Maybe. But it seems to be working.
We are fortunate that there are other traditional pantries in our geographic area to give us a safety net for doing this. Those food recipients who are not willing to embrace the new system have other options. We don't have to fear someone going without.
Look for future posts about the logistics of this.
Meanwhile, after 1 week open in this new system, it feels like we're on track. I got this thoughtful feedback from the person who had our very first appointment:
"For several reasons, my recent appointment under the new pantry procedure was a great experience:
I - More space, more privacy (for prayer requests), more personalized attention
II- It is still and it is peaceful
III - I did not feel anxious to arrive (my place on the sign-in sheet)
IV- No congestion in the food area, saved time making selections. Food spaced out nicely. Easier to see variety of food items
V - Volunteers never rushed me but I pressured myself to make selections quickly because I didn't want to hold up others behind me [in the old system]
VI- Wait time reduced dramatically"
I - More space, more privacy (for prayer requests), more personalized attention
II- It is still and it is peaceful
III - I did not feel anxious to arrive (my place on the sign-in sheet)
IV- No congestion in the food area, saved time making selections. Food spaced out nicely. Easier to see variety of food items
V - Volunteers never rushed me but I pressured myself to make selections quickly because I didn't want to hold up others behind me [in the old system]
VI- Wait time reduced dramatically"
Change is good ya'll. Seriously.
Stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment