All guests names, and some identifying details, have been changed to protect the privacy of those involved.
We met Terry today. She is a middle age, single, caucasion woman.
Today was the first time she had ever been to a food pantry.
She is a member of a nearby church that supports us with donations. Someone there told her she should come see us.
She came in near the end of the day. Laura helped her get her paperwork in order. While Laura was giving her the introductory tour, she started crying. I tried to make light, but frankly my jokes just aren't that good, so it didn't seem to help. I connected her with another volunteer to help her with her shopping, and by the time she was done, she seemed a lot calmer and even cracked a smile.
On the way out we got to chat with her about a mutual friend. I think that's when the "us-ness" of the situation sank in for her. I think she came in ready to feel marginalized by the experience. I hope what she left with was a feeling of inclusion and community.
I walked with her to her car so I could bring the cart back. She really needed to talk, and I was happy it was the end of the day so we had some time.
She became a single mother when her (now adult) daughter was two, but had managed to buy a home and save some money even in those tough circumstances. She had to retired early because of a health issue. She had always thought her savings would see her through retirement, but all of those funds are gone now because of medical expenses and she lives from disability check to disability check. The bills are piling up.
Her mother has dementia and she helps care for her on weekdays. Our women's and youth ministries recently made "stockings for seniors" for us to distribute, and she was happy to take one of these with her to share with her mother.
On top of all of this, she suffers from depression.
I hope she left with a little bit better off for having met us, and I hope God planted some seeds of comfort in her heart today.
No comments:
Post a Comment